Prejudiced? Bigoted? Intolerant? Carrying around benign but silly biases?
Take this simple test to find out:
Fill in the blanks:
1. I don’t mind ___________________, I just wouldn’t want one marrying my (brother/sister/child/etc).
2. Some of my best friends are ______________________. Estimate how many and write the total here = _____.
3. Everyone knows that ______________________ are _____________________.
4. _____________________ can’t be trusted.
5. _____________________ are lazy.
6. _____________________ are always late.
7. I frequently say something like “Well, what do you expect – all _____________ are liars?”
8. I will not go to this activity or place if I expect _______________________ to be there.
9. The world would be a safer place if ________________ would leave/disappear/convert/etc.
Recombine the words in the left two columns with the words in the two right columns that you associate with these groups. Mix and match as you like (Your person with mustache could be a tense power-hungry female – for example.)
Talk Show Host
Most likely to start a war:
Most likely to vote:
- Rock stars
- Convicted felons
Most likely to help out in a natural disaster
- Random strangers
Most likely to share what they’ve got
Most likely to pay taxes
- Rich people
- Poor people
Please feel free to add an “other” line to any of the above multiple choice questions.
How’d you do?
This is a score-it-yourself test. Remember those? On a scale of 1-5, with 1 being not at all and 5 being maximally bigoted:
1. Full of love for all humankind – medicated and ready for world peace.
2. Some minor biases, but I try to see things with an open mind.
3. A little bigoted – I hadn’t really thought about it before.
4. Somewhat bigoted – that’s just how things are.
5. Absolutely bigoted, and proud of it.